Tuesday, March 8, 2011

More Food!

OK, The Pedant reminded me with his last post that I've been bad at posting. We've done some great cooking and I should share. Since I just don't have time to let you know what I've made the last month, I'll start with the last weekend:

Rye and Cornmeal Muffins: I saw this recipe in the New York Times and it was great. Super easy to make and really tasty. We had them for dinner with a Quick Belgian Salad from the salad cookbook. Very yummy.

Minestrone Soup: I have to say that I've become known (well, with TP) for my Minestrone soup. It' a pretty easy recipe: cook some veg in broth (usually water though - then it makes a broth plus LOTS of spices), add a can or two of tomato paste, put in beans and pasta, let it get thick and yummy. I made it again this weekend from a batch of vegetable soup I made a few weeks ago. It's super tasty.

Fennel and Onions with Capers: Lidia Bastianich (whom I love) has a great and easy recipe for fennel and onions with capers. We made it in a much smaller pan than usual (since we were making it with some chicken soup and turkey meatballs for TP - I'll let you hear about it from him) so it took longer for the veg to caramelize but man, this dish is tasty!

New obsession: Trader Joe's. I like their low fat string cheese so much. Also, they have mini goat cheeses that come in a pre-packaged 1 oz block. Perfect for omelets. Or anything else. Mmmm.... And they have these super cheap pouches of beans - soybeans and chickpeas. So tasty.

No comments: