Monday, August 11, 2008

Travel Food Frustration

I have learned that our Garmin StreetPilot, which is otherwise very good despite my urge to say "StreetPilot" like the digitized introduction voice to the "Michael Jackson's Moonwalker" arcade game, has one major shortcoming: it does not provide sufficient information to identify the acceptable food locations within a short distance of I-95.

Hitting the "food" button gets the restaurants by distance from your present location, which, if you're eight miles from the nearest exit, may be twenty-five miles worth of driving.

Also: no accounting for quality. And some of those places are very closed.

Now that I've suffered this problem, not to mention ten hours in a car in traffic and torrential rain (and the only fair "Yankee pot roast sandwich" at a "Cookery"-branded Flying J truck stop restaurant) , I have found that there is an entire site called "I-95 Gourmet."

Also, I should be cross-referencing this list with a map.

Hindsight is 20/20.

No comments: