Sunday, August 9, 2009

Let Me Ruin Your Meal

Fun fact of the night: Ba-tampte pickled bell peppers, when just taken from the jar, look disturbingly like preserved mammalian hearts.

I made this discovery while working on my lunches for the week. Having created two breads, I needed to justify them by making sandwiches. The brown bread, which was pareve, was made into sandwiches with Empire turkey bologna and French's mustard with horseradish; the horseradish mustard helped compete with the strong flavors of the bread, which was made with (among other things) bran cereal and cocoa powder.

But I also made "Anadama" bread, which is dairy (as well as containing plenty o' molasses), and I needed a sandwich for that. Enter my eternal quest for the perfect tuna fish sandwich.

As regular readers of this blog know, I am always trying to make canned tuna into something better than a mayonnaise-y mass tasty only for tasting mostly like mayonnaise. I've had limited luck with mustard-based concoctions, so today I tried a base of olive oil, dehydrated onions, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. I added to that tuna and chopped pickled red bell pepper, the latter for extra taste and texture.

It tasted pretty good right out of the bowl, but the important thing is for it to be palatable after a day or so in the fridge. My mustard tuna sandwiches were merely adequate to that task, and gave off a pungent vinegar/tuna odor which few others could stand. We'll see how these do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

For non-mayo tuna assistance, I've had good results from mixing it with a jar of mashed artichoke hearts (with some but not all of the liquid) and a healthy amount of black pepper. My mother adds chopped green olives to it as well.

Next time I make tuna, I'm going to try it with a tiny bit of creme fraiche (since the rest will go into a batch of coronation chicken).

Sherbs said...

TP - I may have mentioned this before. My grandfather is known to put chumus in his tuna.

Liz said...

My mom actually puts just a little bit of mayo and a whole lot of balsamic vinegar. I love it, but Zach doesnt. An acquired taste, maybe?