Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ogres are like Lasagnas...

Yes it's true - The Pedant and I aren't blogging the way we used to. Maybe the pangs of guilt I'm feeling are coming from the new book I'm reading, Julie and Julia. It's very good so far, and I really like Julie Powell (I kinda want to be her friend and I'm only on page 183!). I even dreamt last night about making fancy French food. I didn't make fancy French food last night before bed, but I did prepare dinner for tonight: Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna. It came straight from Vegetarian Times and it was not to difficult to prepare. The only problem (and this is where I felt similarly to Julie) was the sauce - made of 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes (we got with extra garlic), an onion, 2 cloves of garlic (I used three) 1 cup fresh basil, 8oz tempeh, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, salt and pepper. To make the sauce, you simply put in the ingredients into a food processor in an order and then begin the layering processes (layer of sauce, layer of ready bake lasagna noodles, layer of frozen spinach, layer of ricotta cheese, layer of sauce, layer of swiss cheese, repeat 3x). Only problem: TP and I don't own a full sized food processor yet. We do have a "mini chopper" attachment to our hand blender, but that holds about 1 onion, 1 cup of basil and 2 cloves of garlic. So I punted and chopped each part separately and then mixed it in a bowl. Hopefully it will turn out well. The other kink was that it was to cook 4 hours on high, 6 hours on low. Great, except TP and I left the house before 9 and will be returning after 7, so changing the temperature and the time would be, well, miraculous. So we compromised and have it set for 7 hours on high.

No comments: