Monday, January 28, 2008

Greek Food, CPK

This weekend, The Pedant and I had 2 very different meals, one much yummier than the other.

(Well, three meals that were tasty, but I won't go into the logistics of the first on Friday night. It was a pot luck dinner and TP and I brought yummy foods. He made a cucumber salad with an "Asian" dressing, again from the Cook's Illustrated Best Vegetable Cookbook, which went pretty fast. Everyone said it was yummy, and I am fussy and don't like cucumbers so I didn't try it. I made a cabbage, orange and fennel salad which was good but not fantastic. I one-and-a-halved the recipe because I was afraid one wouldn't be enough, but I think I added too much cabbage. It was still tasty, but maybe not to be made again.)

Saturday Night:

TP and I were dog sitting for my cousin and decided to take a break from the two cute, but yippy schnauzers and go for Greek food. My cousin recommended a place which was very tasty. It was designed to look like a little Greek village and the food was tasty, tasty.

They started us with a warm, crusty bread with some olive oil dipping that had a hint of lemon. We shared an appetizer - the Imam Baildi, an eggplant baked with tomato's, onions and pine nuts and it was perfectly baked. I had the Vegetarian sample platter, with a tasty triangle of spanikopita, 2 stuffed mushrooms, a stuffed grape leaf and rice and string beans. Well done. We shared the desserts for two: ice cream, a honey walnut cake (tasty!) and baklava, one of my favorite desserts that doesn't include chocolate.

Sunday Night:

For one of our friend's birthdays, at her request, we went to The Cheesecake Factory. I never understand the excitement of the place: yes, the portions are large and the cheesecake is the only consistently tasty option, but the wait is never needed. C'mon people, try tastier places. I got a portobello sandwich, which I usually get, which was fine. The mushroom was too tough, but I can always find fault in something there (the service was slow, too). TP and I shared a "Craig's Crazy Carrot Cake Cheesecake" which was an interesting cake, but needed more cream cheese frosting (as most things in life do).

I should say I do enjoy TCF, but it's never as good as I want it to be. I much prefer big chains like CPK and Bertucci's.

No comments: