Sunday, March 23, 2008

Family Food

My parents were in town this weekend and it was, of course, filled with lots of food.

Thursday:

Pre-parents cleaning and food shopping (I should have an empty fridge?!). At the Teet The Pedant and I also bought more ingredients in case we needed an impromptu Baked Beans Huevos Rancheros.

Friday:

Mother came earlier than Father (because she got Friday off and he did not) and we had a nice lunch at the local Crepeire. She got brie and spinach and I got the "champagne" (tomatoes, zucchini, onions, maybe mushrooms and goat cheese). Very tasty.

My mother took TP and I out to dinner in the city and we ate at a nice Italian place. I got the asparagus, arugula and goat cheese salad and spinach fettichini with wild mushrooms in a cream-based sauce. Definitely not healthy but oh so tasty.

Saturday:

Father came bearing a large wooden buffet (my parents were getting a new dining room set and this was a good hand-me-down piece for us) so although not food related, it will be able to store our china dishes and we can have fancy meals on fancy plates. Yay!

We made a lunch of my childhood: lots of whatever we have around (granted my mom and I bought some things, but...the idea...): hummus, good bread (a substitute for bagels since I refuse to buy them out of NY), swiss cheese, leftover chick pea stew, tuna fish, lettuce, onion, tomato. We then pulled out all the stops for desert: pineapple and bits of chocolate we had in the house.

For dinner, we went to my cousins for a really lovely meal. (And equally good company and dogs.) For appetizers we had a homemade 7 layer dip which was really good plus baked brie and hummus. Dinner was amazing: Cesar salad, eggplant Parmesan and a portobello lasagna that has nuts and lemon zest - really delicious and has a fun kick to it. Dessert was oranges, pumpkin pie and oreo pie...amazing...

No comments: