Monday, July 9, 2007

An Adventure in Baking...

A Time Line:

April 23, 2007:
I fell in love with the William Sonoma Cookie Press

May 1, 2007:
Stoner gives me the WSCP, cause she's amazing

July 5, 2007, 7PM
Mom: Sherbs, let's bake this weekend. You wanted to use your WSCP.
Sherbs: That's a good idea. Sunday work?
M: Yes.
Sort-of-Grandma: A cookie press? They're great! I have one of those from my mother! I love it! So Easy!
S: Hooray!
M: Hooray!
SOG: Make the Almond Spritz cookies, they're the best.

July 8, 2007, 12 Noon:
S: What do we need for the Almond Spritz cookies.
M: A crap load of butter. But at least we don't need to grease the baking sheets. Your father will get some for us while he's out.

July 8, 2007, 12:30 PM:
M: Ok, I'll make more of the recipe, you start cookie pressing.
S: Ok. Wait, how do you do this? It's not working! ARGH!
Dad [an engineer]: You just put it in and take the press and do it, see? Easy.
S: Hm...[expletive] not working!
M: Let me try. Nope not working. Let's switch inserts. Now, that works.
S: [Takes press, puts against baking sheet, nothiong comes out.]
M: God damned gadgets!

July 8, 2007, 1 PM:
S: Nope, still not working! And we have a tremendous amount of batter left.
M: No, because you've eaten so much raw dough, we only have a crap load left.
S: [Licks fingers, rubs tummy, curses WSCP]
M: Let's just make balls and flatten them.

July 8, 2007, 2 PM:
S: WOW! This things STILL doesn't work!
M: We're not made for gadgets.
S: But it looks so cool!
M: I know...stop eating raw dough!

July 8, 2007, 2:45 PM:
M: Well, the cookies taste good. Probably because for every 30, there's a stick of butter. And that's why they aren't coming out.
S: Yes. I will try again another time. I will conquer the WSCP! Next time: Less butter! Take that William Sonoma!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry that I've failed you!!! You should return the press to WS, and demand a better one that actually works!!

:(

Stoner