Monday, July 2, 2007

Judging Books By Their Cover

Yes, yes, I've been neglecting my blog duties. Oops. I've been staying up late reading some good books (2 excellent and one mediocre, so I guess it's equals out to "good") and so I'm sleepy and have not much to write about. However, I will give an update as to what I've been doing/reading/seeing:

BOOKS

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. Amazing book, truly wonderful. It kept me captivated, and made me remember how almost everyone hated high school and it's drama. Also, it's fairly chick-litty, but a million items better than Jemima J. I'm also about 2/3rds of the way through her next book, The Man of My Dreams, which has a similar protagonist and semi-biographical trajectory (not that different from a John Irving novel, except he does 600 pages and a whole life and she does 300 pages and 4-7 years).

A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon. Same guy who wrote The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time which was a really interesting book. This was a great book, a bit depressing, but he really knows how to write about people with all kinds of problems and make you pity them. Recommended.

The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells. Mediocre at best. The movie, ironically, was 10x better. Mostly the narrative in the book was weird and although the story of Sidda's childhood and Vivi's parenthood was interesting, the writing was fair and the story could have been told better.

MOVIES

The Father of the Bride. I watched the original 1950 version with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor last week with my parents. Basically, less silly than the 1991 remake with Steve Martin and Diane Keaton (although that was a funny one), and made me realize I want a shirt dress like those they wore in the 50s. Tres glamorous.

Ratatouille. The Pedant and I saw this one Sunday and it was amazing. I felt kind of bad eating popcorn at the theaters, mostly cause it was bad for me, and also because we're watching a film about good food in the middle of Paris. Basically, as I've said before, I love cartoon, especially those involving anthropomorphized animals, and I love Pixar/Disney, so uh, this one gets an A+ in my book. Go see it. Not on an empty stomach. It was adorable. And it makes me want to go to Paris pretty badly.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Have you seen the original Sabrina? Paris! Great dresses! And cooking!